FAQ for How the PCard can be Utilized
The following information is provided to help identify those areas for which the PCard may be utilized, and more importantly, when it is not allowable. Most items available for purchase using a Purchase Order are allowable use for the PCard, with the following exceptions OR additional guidelines. Please contact the eProcurement Office if you have any doubt whether or not a purchase is allowable.
Please note: Although it may be an allowable purchase using your PCard, if the merchant code assigned to the vendor by their bank is one that the State of Arkansas has 'blocked' from usage and your card is declined, you will contact the eProcurement Office at 387-9229 or email@example.com.
Items NEVER allowed to be purchased
using the PCard
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Birthday/Holiday/Greeting/Thank You Cards
- Supplies and food that is used for office birthday parties or celebrations
- Items for Personal Use
- Personal Convenience Items (Coffee makers, microwaves, refrigerators, etc.)
- Moving/Relocation Expenses
- Any pre-paid cards or supplier credit (i.e. OligoCard)
- Printing using a printing press (wet ink on paper via a printing press)
- Any purchase that requires an official University signature such as; maintenance agreement, software license agreement, etc.
- Airfare or other travel expenses such as lodging, car rental, fuel, etc.
- Narcotics/prescriptions and other over the counter medicines that are for human consumption
- Construction or Remodeling
- Gifts of any kind (including flowers)
- I.T. Equipment - These items include, but are not limited to, computers, monitors, laptops, tablets, camera equipment, video equipment, video gaming equipment, printers, copiers, scanners, televisions, and cell phones. Certain tech supplies such as headphones, keyboards, computer mice, external USB drives, RAM, USB cables, batteries, and speakers, are exempt from these guidelines and are allowed to be purchased with a PCard. Please reference the Information Technology Asset Management (ITAM) Policy & Guidelines for Purchasing Technology Products for additional information regarding allowable/non-allowable I.T. purchases.
Items that Require Additional Guidelines
in order to purchase using the PCard
Gift Cards : PRIOR approval from the eProcurement Office is required. Submit a completed Gift Card Request Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. If approved, a Gift Card Disbursement List, documenting who received the cards, must also be completed and submitted with the purchase documentation. Please see Gift Card Guidelines for further information on the gift card purchasing process.
- Prizes: PRIOR approval from the eProcurement Office is required. Submit a completed Prize Request Form to email@example.com. If approved, a Prize Disbursement List, documenting who received the prize, must also be completed and submitted with the
purchase documentation. Please see Prize Purchasing Guidelines for further information on the prize purchasing process.
- Greeting Cards (ONLY allowed as a thank-you note to donors)
Tires MUST be purchased from one of the state contract vendors, Bridgestone, Goodyear, or Michelin. If there is a roadside emergency while in a state owned vehicle, you may purchase a tire from any source.
Letterhead and Printed Envelopes may be purchased directly from PMC Solutions OR the state contract holder.
Paper Towels & Toilet Tissue that are purchased in bulk with a dollar value of $250 or more must be purchased from the state contract holder.
Printing or Copier Paper that is purchased in bulk with a dollar value of $500 or more must be purchased from a state contract holder.
Internet or Phone Service requires PRIOR approval by the eProcurement Office. (Mainly for AGRI branch stations)
Equipment $2500 or greater (including taxes and freight) may be allowable in an emergency situation, with PRIOR written approval by the eProcurement Office.
Certifications and/or Licenses require a completed License/Certification Justification Form to be uploaded with the purchase documentation.
Memberships/Dues require a completed Membership Justification Form to be uploaded with the purchase documentation.
Online webinars/online training classes and registration fees - The purchase documentation must contain a note that NO travel was involved with the purchase.
Subscriptions - If not printed on the purchase documentation, you must note the dates of subscription coverage, either on the receipt or within the memo section of the verification.
Any items that are purchased for official business meetings, official functions, or official retirement events require a completed Official Function Form to be uploaded with the purchase documentation.
For those card holders who have Restaurants open on their cards for local purchases, a completed Official Function Form must be submitted along with the purchase documentation. NOTE: Detailed, itemized receipts are required. A credit card payment receipt that does not show what was purchased is insufficient purchase documentation. Auditors must see what was purchased.
Items with University logos can only be purchased from Licensed University of Arkansas Vendors, with already approved marks. If requesting a new template or marking, PRIOR written approval from the Trademark Licensing Office must be obtained and submitted with the purchase documentation. Send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: The Razorback is the spirit symbol of the university and is not to be used for academic or general promotional purposes. There can be no Razorback logos on these items without express written permission from University Relations and the Department of Athletics. Click here for additional information. Please refer to the Brand & Style Guidelines for Schools, Colleges and Departments. The logos on that webpage are what should be used by academic departments, administrative units, academic and research centers, and other official parts of the university (students and student groups cannot use these elements without permission from University Relations).
Ammunition (ONLY ALLOWABLE FOR PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT - must be purchased from state contract vendors)
- Sponsorships, regardless of the amount, must be reviewed and approved by University Advancement PRIOR to making the purchase. Submit requests for event sponsorships to The Office Of Donor Engagement (email@example.com). The Donor Engagement approval must be submitted with the purchase documentation.